Sunday, March 6, 2011

Crafty Crap

Since my fabulous husband has been wasting his time drooling over AR 15's and AK 47's, I decided to be more productive and make some fun stuff for super cheap! As much as Brady loves guns and blowing things up, I love making quilts and crafts to make my home have some personality. I would even go as far as purchasing some power tools for me to use for crafts, like a chop saw to cut 2x4's and 4x4's, etc into blocks for some word art decorations. I am working on building up a nice fabric stash by checking out Joann's reminant section each time I walk in the store. I have found some awesome stuff in those bins! And I just have to say a quick, THANK YOU MOM!!!! She got a new sewing machine, so I got lucky and inherited her "old" one. Old meaning like at least 10 years old, but oh, so new to me since it has a computer in it with some really cool options like automatic button holes, and cool stiching designs like penguins, flowers, and airplanes just to name a few. I have sewed on her machine off and on since she got it all those years ago, so I am very familiar with the basics of it. Yesterday I tried it out for the first time at my own house. I didn't do anything fancy, but I sure to like how smooth it is. I whipped up these two baby quilt tops in about 30 minutes each. Today I made a pillow case from a cute kit I found for $1.50 at Walmart.
I found the fabrics in packages already cut in 1 yard lengths and matched to another corrdinating print. Each of these tops cost me $5 to do, including the binding. Tomorrow I am hitting an awesome deal at Joann's for flannel for the backing. All together I'll spend about 11 bucks per baby quilt. The last few I have made with this design have cost about $15 -$20 for just the top since I didn't get any of the fabrics on sale. Oh how I love a good deal!!!
This year I decided I wanted to have a door hanging for each month. Whether I make one or find a cute one on sale, I don't care. It's just something fun for me to do. I got a 14" straw wreath -left it in the plastic wrapping-, a green piece of fabric from the reminant bin, some gold coins, and a shamrock shimmery thingy to wrap around the wreath. Total cost: about $6. And I have enough coins and fabric to make another one. Now to think up a good way to store all these wonderful wreaths I am making throughout the year.

No comments: