Friday, May 30, 2014

The longest, hardest project yet

Recovering this boring car seat...which is made up of 21 pieces,
 To this pile of random looking pieces and 2 yards of Monsters, Inc University fabric,
 To this fairly organized layout, ready to be cut and sewn,
 To the finished product. All it took was 1.5 hours of unpicking the seat, 1 hour of laying and cutting pieces, and roughly 5 to 6 hours to put it all back together. I had quite a tough time for a little while with my sewing machine locking up because a few parts were really thick when corners were meeting up. After smacking my machine, it still didn't work, and yelling at it didn't help either...go figure. I decided to call it a night and try again in the morning. I ended up trying to take apart the machine as much as I could and air blast the heck out of every nook and cranny...which I think helped quite a bit. I took a snail's pace after that, especially on those extra thick areas. In the end, I did end up hand sewing two corners together because I just couldn't get the presser foot to go through the 8 different pieces that needed to all meet at the same place. I can't even begin to say how relieved I am that this seat is finished. Tomorrow it is being picked up...and on to the next projects.

In my to-do pile I have scout badges to sew on Ammon's shirt, a camera strap to make for a friend, and finishing the neckline and waistline of Ayla's pajamas I made her for her birthday last week. No rest for the wicked :)


Melonie said...

What an amazing job you did!

Keiza said...

Thank you!! I am not sure I would do it least this kind of seat. It had way too many pieces!